News + Events
Society for News Design Awards
“America Today, in Vision and Verse,” a project I co-edited with Morrigan McCarthy in 2017, won two awards from the Society of News Design for its print presentation by the designer Wayne Kamidoi.
And "Your Photos of A Solar Eclipse’s Journey Across America," a project I collaborated on with a number of colleagues, won a silver medal ( Breaking/Daily News: Single-Subject Project) in the 2017 Edition of its Best of Digital Design Competition. The feature was designed and produced by Umi Syam.
I'm available to speak to classes studying photography, social media, editing, writing or journalism. In recent months I've spoken to classes at NYU - Newhouse, NewYork.SG, The New School, The School of The New York Times, City University New York and more.
April 2018: Telling “Stories” on Social Media: a How-To for Students: Journalism + Design talk at the New School in NYC.
New York Portfolio Review 2018: Annual portfolio review with editors from The Times and publications around the world.
Social Media Week 2018: Panelist in a conversation hosted by Instagram: "Reaching Young Audiences on Instagram: Strategies for Publishers." More info.
United Photo Industries: The Fence 2017: Member of the jury for THE FENCE, an outdoor photo exhibition in Brooklyn and six other major cities.
Photoville 2017: An Evening With The New York Times: NYT photographers and editors shared highlights from our photographic coverage this year. The presentation included selections from a project I co-edited, “America Today, in Vision and Verse,” which paired photographers and poets.
Flash Forward 2017: I was a member of the jury for the 13th photography competition hosted by the Magenta Foundation.
Edit, Sequence and Promote Your Photographs: Speaker at two weekend-long workshops hosted by James Estrin of The Times in 2017.
2016: UNC Chapel Hill Photography Portfolio Review: Portfolio review with UNC students studying photography.
More on what I do:
- NYT: NYT Archives on Instagram: A Lighthearted Look Into Our Past
- PetaPixel: The Social Photo Editor for The New York Times Breaks Down Her Job
- NYT: The Photos You Liked in 2016
- Photo Brigade: Photo Brigade Podcast #117 with Kerri MacDonald
- Nieman Lab: How 3 publishers are using Instagram stories for visually compelling storytelling
- Donald R. Reynolds Journalism Institute: What is a social media photo editor?
- National Geographic Voices: So You Want to be Successful on Instagram?
- Photo Brigade: Navigating and Editing the Changing Photographic Landscape
- NYT: An Instagram Walkabout in the Bronx
- journalism.co.uk: 'It's important to let yourself fall down the rabbit hole' – Q&A with Kerri MacDonald
- Digiday: Inside the New York Times Instagram Strategy
- NYT: For The Times, a New Beginning on Instagram